Friday, April 8, 2011
Class + beauty, all rolled up into one sex kitten = Elizabeth Taylor. One day, I'm going to throw my own little retrospective of her work right in my living room.
In honor of Fab 5 Friday where I list my favorite things of the moment, here's a list of Liz's movies that will get top billing on my marquis:
1. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - Talk about your complex relationships! Brick (co-star Paul Newman) and Maggie the Cat were like fire and ice. I needed a cigar after watching that movie. No one can wear a slip like Liz Taylor.
2. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Me. I was. Still am. I couldn't take my eyes off her riveting performance, though. It was like watching a train barreling towards you; you want to get out of its way, but you take too long to move, and you're hooked on the Taylor-Burton train as they drag you into their dysfunction.
3. Cleopatra - I just remember it being a color-filled feast for the eyes. I wanted to be an Egyptian queen after that, and the following Halloween, I was.
4. Father of the Bride - I just realized what an impact Liz had on my formative years. After watching this movie, I wanted to be a bride and break the National Bank of Dad, too. My dad was already broke, though; it wouldn't have taken much.
5. Little Women - I saved the best for last. Amy was played by none other than Teen Taylor, and one of her sisters was an unrecognizable Janet Leigh (long before Psycho). I watch this movie every holiday season.
What's your favorite Elizabeth Taylor movie?