Thursday, August 21, 2008

OF ALL THE MIDNIGHTS IN THE WORLD


Of all the midnights in the world, I had to stroll into this one at high noon. I didn't actually have to, but I've always wanted to go to the Griffith Park Observatory where they magically create a view of the universe at night in the middle of the day. Today, my first born, (a self-proclaimed Mama's boy undisputed) used his day off to take me there to fulfill #56 on my Bucket List.

The Observatory sits at the top of Mount Hollywood. If you look real hard at the photo above, you can see the "Hollywood" sign behind us. Exhibits abound with interesting facts about the sun and the moon. Inside the Planetarium, the show "Centered in the Universe" talks about the fact that there are more than the nine planets I grew up learning about. They even show the origin of the universe (if you don't believe in Creationism).

Many movies were filmed here, too, the most famous of which was Rebel Without a Cause, starring James Dean. He died in 1955, the same year it was filmed, and his presence is still felt there. There's even a small bust of him out front.

Now, back to the universe. Did you know the North Star never moves? I didn't, but that's why you can use it if you're driving across town looking for that big sale, and you've gotten lost. Just look for the North Star to get your directional bearings.

And just how do you know which star is the North Star, iStarWoman? Well, first you have to be able to recognize the Big Dipper. You follow the Big Dipper down the handle to the end of the basin, and there are two stars. Follow those up, and there you'll find the North Star. How the Three Wise Men knew all of that, I'll never know. Thankfully, they weren't in Los Angeles with its polluted air. They'd never have found baby Jesus. Obviously, we aren't as smart as them, and that's why God gave the rest of us GPS devices. I don't leave home without it.

No comments: