Friday, June 3, 2011

Fab 5 Fridays


This is the day where I recount the top five most fabulous things in my life at the moment. This week, it's independent films, four of which are streaming on Netflix. (Dear Netflix, please feel obligated to give me a free month's subscription in kind for my gratis advertisement.)

1. All Good Things - Ryan Gosling and Kirsten Dunst are a couple who have a love that -- like all good things -- must come to an end. But is Gosling the real-estate heir who kills her? That is the question. View for the answer.

2. Rabbit-Proof Fence - I am obsessed with this movie about three aboriginal girls all under the age of eleven who were ripped from their homes by the misguided Austrailian government of the 1930's, and placed in an orphanage. Of course, they escape and try to walk the 3000 miles back home. But will they make it? AND it's based on a true story!

3. Auntie Mame - My go-to feel good movie. I can't watch this streaming video without thinking of my BFF, The Diva. She and Rosalind Russell (who plays the title role) are larger than life, and funny to boot.

4. Easy A - stars Emma Stone (who will play the lead role of Skeeter in the upcoming film version of The Help). It's a teen comedy, but a smart teen comedy (reflective of the title), and I want to be part of the family that the lead character belongs to. Watch it and you'll see what I mean.

5. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - Talk about irony. For all you writers out there, this film epitomizes how irony is done. It's about the young son of a Nazi war camp captain who befriends his Jewish counterpart, a Nazi war camp captive. Their friendship is a dangerous journey with a twist ending. You'll never see it coming, I promise. I initially watched it on Netflix streaming video, but I just checked and it is no longer streaming, but you can still rent it. It is a riveting must-see.

5 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I loved EASY A - and I'm so glad to see Emma Stone in THE HELP.

And just the mention of THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS gives me the chills and makes me want to weep. You're absolutely right - it's riveting.

(If you don't want to rent movies, the library usually has lots of DVDs available.) :)

MsALWalker said...

Yes, Madeline! I think the took BOY off the play-it-now list because it was so popular. The two actors who played the little boys deserved an Oscar nod. It wouldn't have been the same without them.

Donna Volkenannt said...

Thanks for the movie suggestions. I'm also happy to hear THE HELP is going to be made into a movie. The book was great.
donna v

MsALWalker said...

I am SO looking forward to the movie version of The Help! Thanks for stopping by, Donna.

injaynesworld said...

OMG! The original "Auntie Mame" with Rosalind Russell is my favorite movie of all time!