Monday, May 16, 2011

HAVE AN AFFAIR for $Free.99

An affair with a book festival, that is. Get your mind out of the gutter and back on the curb.
It was wonderful being around a bunch of book nerds like myself at the LA Times Festival of Bookworms -- I mean Books.

It was held at USC for the first time, after being on the UCLA campus for many, many years. But the crosstown rivalry must have been the clandestine part of this affair, because no one stole the bookfest mascot! Probably because there isn't one. And the organizers? Well, they were organized! Booths were centrally located for such a large campus, and maps and schedules were posted everywhere for your convenience.

They had outdoor stages (with the likes of Jamie Lee Curtis and R. L. Stine) and indoor panel sessions where I got a chance to have Heidi Durrow sign my copy of her debut novel, The Girl Who Fell From The Sky.

I also got to see Walter Mosley, one of the authors I admire most, up close and personal, and he signed my vintage copy of Devil in a Blue Dress. T.C. Boyle of The Women fame was there, and let me tell you, he could beat out Donald Trump's combover anytime, anywhere.
Also on the marquis were Lisa See, Aimee Bender, Janet Fitch, Jennifer Weiner, and my Facebook friend, Tayari Jones whose Silver Sparrow is coming out this month!
(Walter Mosley)
Sadly, my affair lasted only two days, but I got to backspace/delete Number 143 off of my Bucket List.

3 comments:

injaynesworld said...

You just do the most fun things! I wish we lived closer so we could hang out.

MsALWalker said...

I know, right? I was thinking the same thing!

101 Things Before You Die said...

They have a literary festival every summer that the local colleges take turns hosting; I've always meant to go but haven't gotten around to it.