Friday, May 20, 2011

Fab 5 Friday


On Fab 5 Fridays, I flash on my five favorite things of the moment. Whew, say that five times real fast!

It's prom season, so this week I'm going to count down my five favorite prom flicks. In no particular order, of course.

1. Pretty in Pink - Who didn't want to be pretty in pink like (Molly Ringwald) at the prom back in the eighties?

2. Prom Night in Mississippi - Starring Morgan Freeman. Ok. I'm cheating; it's actually a documentary about Morgan Freeman footing the bill for the first ever integrated prom in a little town in Mississippi. No, it was not 1950; it was in 2009. Worth a look-see.

3. American Pie - Culminated in a prom scene so racy, I banned my then fifteen-year-old daughter from seeing it until she turned twenty five. She just saw it this year. (That's what she told me, anyway.)

4. Cooley High - The tagline for this 1975 movie was "Where the student Body was a chick named Veronica, the senior prom was a "belly rub," and there was a permanent crap game in the men's room." Sounds like my prom!

5. Carrie - starring Sissy Spacek. You didn't think I'd leave this movie off, did you? Sweetest revenge movie ever! Oh, and there's a prom in it.

What's your favorite prom flick?

6 comments:

Cathy C. Hall said...

We moved the summer before my senior year, so I skipped and went straight to college--AND NEVER WENT TO PROM.

So hands down: Carrie. :-)

MsALWalker said...

Actually, I didn't go to my prom, either! There must be more of us out there, Cathy. I had a boyfriend I was going to break up with (though he didn't know it) and I refused to go to the prom with someone I didn't love...LOL. As if I even knew what love was back then.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I was an '80s girl and "Pretty in Pink" was one of my favorite movies back then. But I was also starting to read my way through Stephen King's books around then, too, so "Carrie" ranks right up there, too. (I have no idea what those extremes say about me. Not sure I want to know either!)

And I now have that "If You Leave" song in my head...

MsALWalker said...

Yep, that song definitely reminds me of Pretty in Pink.

101 Things Before You Die said...

I'm concerned that Carrie is one of your fave prom flicks! And I have a secret: I've never seen Pretty in Pink. Don't hate me

MsALWalker said...

Please add it to your viewing bucket list then, do it for all mankind. :-)