Monday, January 31, 2011

FARMERS (MARKET) DAUGHTER

It was time for another mother/daughter field trip. We got Sarge to sign our trip slips (he thought he was signing the renewal for his Playboy subscription) and we headed to -- you guessed it from the title of this post, didn't you -- Farmers Market!

And it's not just any green market where farmers gather outdoors to sell produce to the general public; every nook and cranny city has that. But this is the original Farmers Market (no apostrophe!) in L. A. And guess what? The price was right: $Free.99, or as Baby Girl puts it, "If it's free, it's me."

Farmers Market at Third and Fairfax is a historic fixture that is over 75 years old. It's famous for celebrity sightings (we saw two film crews there that day) and now I know why: There's over 80 shops on the premises. You can find anything you want there. There's gourmet shops, vintage clothing stalls, a butcher, a baker, and a chicken-on-a-stick maker. The delicious aroma from Bryan's Pitt BBQ had our mouths watering, but we decided instead to eat lunch at a tapas bar called Little Spain. The crab croquetas Espanolas was mmm-mui magnifico!

We shopped and bought little trinkets. Shine Gallery specializes in vintage memorabilia from bygone eras. They have authentic Pez dispensers in the original packaging. I even found a button that had my name on it, and I never find things that bear my name. You'd think I was named Shataquaneka or something. (My apologies to any Shataquanekas out there.)


We spent a whole day walking, looking, eating aqua blue taffy. The last time I'd been to Farmers Market was a field trip during elementary school. this excursion brought back old memories, and Baby Girl and I created a new one.

Farmers Market, Number 130 on my Bucket List.

2 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Oh, Arlene, I hear you about finding things with your name on it! It took years before I came across something with "Madeline" on it. Now, though, I'm finding more and more personalized odds and ends as my name seems to be making a comeback. :)

MsALWalker said...

Then you know my pain, Madeline, and my joy!