Thursday, January 15, 2009

IN BRUGES

And I'm not talking about the movie starring Colin Farrell, but the Bucket List adventure starring me and Sarge. Lucky number 77 on the to-do list was Belgium, a country in northwestern Europe that is surrounded by France, the Netherlands, and Germany. It spans at least 11,000 square miles, but we ended up in a quaint little town called Brugges (which I've seen spelled a million and one different ways).

I had seen Brugges described on the Travel Channel as a place where cars are not allowed on most of the streets, so I said to Sarge, "That's where I want to live!" He did the obligatory eye-roll and shooed me out of his man-cave, but we did get to visit Brugges, and indeed, bicycling is a major mode of transportation. The other option is walking, which is why I didn't see one overweight person in the whole town. Los Angeles, take note.

There's also a lot of climbing. Their bell tower has 366 stairs, and one 86-year old man climbs them every single day to play the bells. That's his job!

It's a picturesque village that dates back to the 1200's. Here's Sarge and I in front of a cathedral that's 500 years old.













Here's another pic of someone's home/turned restaurant.














The town is full of canals, another mode of transportation.





If you make it to Brugges, be sure to partake of the chocolate; it's one of their specialties. If not, rent the movie and see Colin at his cutest (but shhh...don't tell Sarge I said that.)

No comments: